Augusta cross-city crime debauch targets headstones, cars

November 13, 2014 - Picnic Time

AUGUSTA — City military are seeking a open to assistance brand those obliged for an overnight uproar that culminated with dozens of headstones knocked over during a Riverside Cemetery.

Augusta Police Lt. Christopher Massey pronounced some-more than a half-dozen vehicles were shop-worn during an apparent crime debauch that started on Green Street Tuesday night and finished Wednesday morning with a glow during an deserted strew off Maple Street. In between, a vandals targeted a tomb off Bangor Street.

Photo Gallery

Vandals defeated dozens of headstones during Riverside Cemetery in Augusta someday Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, military said.

“They sloping over good over 100 headstones,” Massey said. Augusta Public Works crews spent Wednesday morning resetting some of those headstones, nonetheless many were shop-worn when they were knocked over, Massey said.

Police are following leads, Massey said, though nobody had been charged as of Wednesday afternoon. He pronounced investigators trust during slightest dual people were involved.

“We can’t contend for certain that they’re all connected,” Massey said. “We think that they are.”

The desolation apparently began on Green Street, where a windshield was crushed out. Massey pronounced investigators have not nonetheless pinpointed a time a repairs occurred, though it was before 11 p.m. Cars also were shop-worn on Front and Water streets on a west side.

From there, a vandals changed to a city’s easterly side, deleterious cars along a Bangor Street corridor, including Patterson and Quimby streets.

At slightest 8 automobile windshields were crushed or hoods dented, or both. A back window was crushed out of a automobile on Pearl Street.

“It looks like they got adult on a hoods,” Massey said.

Vandals also sparse rabble and orange construction cones during a construction site on Pearl Street. They sparse rabble during a movement park during Williams Park on Bangor Street, where they also changed cruise tables and attempted to tip over a unstable toilet.

Massey pronounced investigators are still tallying a cost of a repairs caused during a crime spree.

“We trust it finished with a tiny strew fire,” he said.

That fire, that was reported around 9:30 a.m., during a finish of Maple Street, off Willow Street, shop-worn a tiny deserted shed.

Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette pronounced a city parks and distraction worker beheld a fume and detected a glow when he went to investigate. The worker emptied an extinguisher on a glow before firefighters arrived to put out a flames. The building, that Audette estimated is 10 feet by 10 feet in size, was shop-worn though not destroyed.

He pronounced there is no electricity to a building. He pronounced a specific means of a glow is unknown, though it is suspicious. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was called to assistance with a investigation.

“There’s really a tellurian component to a fire,” Audette said.

He pronounced a strew glow was reported during a same time that firefighters were perplexing to extinguish a funnel glow on West River Road.

“They were singular on manpower,” he said.

Massey asked anyone who beheld questionable function during a time of a desolation debauch to call Augusta Police Detective Christopher Blodgett during 626-2370, ext. 3422.

Craig Crosby — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @CraigCrosby4

Were we interviewed for this story? If so, greatfully fill out our
accuracy form.

Send questions/comments to a editors.

source ⦿

More picnic ...

› tags: Picnic Time /