Local runners transport good in tainted weather
June 3, 2016 - Picnic Time
Central Pennsylvania runners fared good in wintry conditions during a May 15 Pocono Mountains Run for a Red Marathon.
This year, competition organizers changed a start an hour progressing to 7 a.m. to equivocate intensity heat, though instead runners faced gray skies and cold winds during a start. The continue remained cold for May as runners upheld by a few snowflakes and a sleet showering en lane to a finish during a high propagandize lane in Stroudsburg.
Meira Minard, of State College, was a initial masters lady and fourth lady altogether in 3 hours, 8 minutes, 56 seconds. A.J. Kelly, of Altoona, was fifth altogether and won a men’s 30-34 age organisation in 2:32:56. In a half marathon, Allison Machnicki, of State College, was a ninth lady altogether and placed second in a 20-29 age group.
In another open competition with wintry conditions — 30 degrees and snowing — Jeff Smucker, of Centre Hall, placed sixth altogether during a Garden Spot Village Marathon in New Holland on Apr 9. His time of 3:07:33 was also good for a 50-and-over win.
Local competition results
▪ At Pocono, Minard was usually dual weeks out from winning a Greenwood Furnace Trail Challenge 13-miler on May 1 with a time of 1:59:13, a usually lady to mangle dual hours. Carole Dudokovich, of Port Matilda, was usually behind her in 2:02:28 to take second. Matt Lipsey was initial altogether in 1:39:09. Among internal runners, Smucker was sixth in 1:52:03.
▪ The Beidleheimer Sidewinder 10K on May 7 is a area’s usually age- and gender-graded race, with awards formed on a commission of world-record turn for a runner’s age rather than time time. Tom Cali, 61, was initial altogether with a national-class 85.49 percent grade. Patrick Singletary was second with 83.54 percent, and Dudukovich, usually a week out from her Greenwood Furnace performance, was third with 80.25 percent. The competition was partial of a Tussey Teaser array and took runners back down a fourth leg of a Tussey Mountainback 50 Mile Relay and Ultramarathon.
▪ Seth Senior won a Linden Loop 5-miler on May 1 in 27:55. Melissa Horn was a initial lady in 39:18.
▪ At a Troop 31 5K in Tudek Park on May 8, 15-year-old Sean Kelleher, of State College, was initial in 19:38. Jean Brownstead, of State College, was a initial lady in 27:18.
▪ Shundri Li, of State College, won a Victory 5K during Our Lady of Victory Catholic School on May 14 in 18:13. Patrick Singletary was reduction than a second behind him. Anna Squicciarini won a women’s competition in 22:59.
▪ The same day, Alan Effrig, of State College, won a Nittany Valley Charter School Tree Hugger Trot 5K in Boalsburg with a time of 20:54. Mihret Strauss, of State College, was a initial lady and second altogether in 21:54.
▪ Singletary got a win during a Penns Valley Youth Center 10K on May 21 in 37:32, and Malarie Yoder, 18, of Spring Mills, won a women’s competition in 48:16. Carter Felker, 15, of Spring Mills, won a 5K 21:44 and Mackenzie Wenrick, 19, of Woodward, was a initial lady in 25:21.
▪ Treaster Kettle Test Your Mettle 10.6 Miler (Tussey Teaser No. 4), 8:30 a.m. Sunday, Colyer Lake vessel launch.
▪ Eager Seeger Half Marathon (Tussey Teaser No. 5), 8:30 a.m. Jun 19, Alan Seeger cruise area.
For some-more information on a Tussey Teaser series, email email@example.com or see http://tusseymountainback.com/tussey_teasers.html.
▪ Crack O’ Dawn 5K Run/Walk and Pancake Breakfast, 8 a.m. Jun 25, Lions Community Hall, 130 S. Academy St., Boalsburg. Register online during http://bit.ly/crackodawn2016.
▪ Hartman Group Happy Valley Sprint Triathlon (750-meter pool swim, 20-kilometer bike, 5K run), 7 a.m. Jul 10, Penn State McCoy Natatorium outside pool. It’s constructed by Centre County YMCA. For some-more information, hit Josh Cone during jcone @ymcaocc.org, call 237-7717, or revisit www.ymcaof centrecounty.org/races/happy-valley-sprint -triathlon.
▪ Sue Crowe Memorial 41st Annual Arts Festival 5K, 10K, and 10 Mile Races and Kids Races presented by Penn State Health, Jul 17, Medlar Field during Lubrano Park. 10-miler starts during 8:15 a.m., 10K during 8:30, and 5K during 8:45. Online registration and some-more information during http://nvrun.com/index .php/racing/club -sponsored/arts-festival -races.
▪ Sproul 10K route race, 10 a.m. Jul 23, Western Clinton Sportsmen’s Association, Renovo. For some-more information, see www.hike run.com.
▪ Allegheny Front Trail Runs, Jul 30, Mid-State Regional Airport, 451 Airport Road, Philipsburg. Events embody a 50K Seneca Run, Half-Marathon Hemlock Run, and shorter hikes. Register online during http://bit.ly/goAFTRit2016 or on competition day, commencement during 6 a.m., during a Mid-State Regional Airport depot building.
▪ Flutopia 5K, 8:30 a.m., Jul 30, Tom Tudek Memorial Park. For some-more information, revisit www.facebook.com/ TheFlutopiaInitiative.
Tara Murray writes a monthly using mainstay for a Centre Daily Times. She can be reached around email during firstname.lastname@example.org.